The picture in the header of this page shows the Missouri River between South Dakota and Nebraska. The closest towns to this location are Obert, NE and Vermillion, SD.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Honey, I Shrunk a Friend

         Okay, maybe I didn't shrink my friend, but she is now short! I had lunch with a long-time friend today. As we stood at the cash register to pay our tickets, I realized I was looking down at her. Naturally, I pointed it out, and she said, yes, she was now 5 feet tall! I didn't ask, but I'm sure that's at least 5 inches.
         It shouldn't change our friendship, but somehow it changes how I look toward the future. I plan on keeping her around in my old age. She bakes the most fantastic breads and cookies.
         Will I need to purchase a little stool for her someday so she can properly knead bread? If we go shopping, will I need to carry her bags so they don't drag on the floor? Will I have trouble seeing her through bifocals?
         I'm wondering if one loses weight as a person gets older. For example, if I weigh 180 lbs. when I'm 5'6', that's almost 2.73 per inch. If I lose five inches in height, will I also lose more than 13 lbs.? I think the height loss is probably along the spine, which supports more body weight than the total of each leg. So, maybe 15 lbs? 20? It might be worth investigating.
         I do wish my feet would shrink.

No comments: